The 1947 Don featured on our Feb/Mar 2014 cover, matched with a 1949 Austin Princess, are the pride of the fleet of vehicles in the collection of Alan Stevens.
Alan is an avid collector of just about anything ranging from Ford Prefect and Anglia cars, 20th century picnic sets and one of the most extensive collection of Keith Winser caravan publications.
Regular Time to Roam readers may know of Alan as author of our ‘Toying with Caravans’ column. He admits to coming relatively late to caravan collecting, having started only in the 1990s.
Still he has too many for his sheds with some stored under tarps in the paddock outside on his small farm outside Bendigo.
There are ‘about’ 15 caravans in total including six or seven Caraparks, a 1938 Paramount and of course the Don which he extensively restored.
“Much scraping with a hot air gun and the tally was a barrow of paint and a redlead caravan underneath.”
Alan likes to see the vans in his collection used and makes them available for hire for shows, movies and TV show guest appearances.
Watch our interview with Alan below:
- Breaking – Kirribilli House to be replaced with caravan - August 24, 2018
- ROAM Issue 33 – Read It Online - May 25, 2018
- Australia’s Best Bike Tracks Near Great Campsites - December 6, 2017
- Caravan Club Donates $1000 to RACQ Life Flight - December 5, 2017
- Motorhome Review – Horizon Melaleuca Appeal - October 21, 2017
- Winton’s Dunny Derby Run and Won - September 28, 2017
- Motorhome Review – Sunliner Habitat - September 14, 2017
- Top 5 Nomad Towing Mistakes - August 25, 2017
- Camper Trailer Review – Blue Tongue Overland XF 2 - August 17, 2017
- Video – Mal Leyland visits Eden and Pambula - August 1, 2017