Winding from the sea at Coffs to the tablelands of Armidale, the Waterfall Way is one of the region’s most beautiful scenic drives, yet that’s only part of its appeal. The region is also a magnet for those who enjoy good food and even better wine.
Prime growing conditions and locals who value organic and seasonal produce means the region around the Waterfall Way has flourished as an alternative food bowl. Just pull up at a farm gate stall, wander the local farmer’s markets, or stop at any of the award-winning local restaurants and you’ll know exactly what we mean.
Bellinger River oysters, Dorrigo potatoes, Urunga honey and Milly Hill lamb from Armidale are just a handful of the delicious local gems. In the hills, light winter frosts mean the growing conditions are perfect for a variety of sweet citrus.
If you fancy a good drop, you’re in luck. Waterfall Way Winery creates boutique fortified wines from fruits such as boysenberry, lime and guava, while Dorrigo’s Red Dirt Distillery has a knack for turning local fruits and potatoes into liquid gold.
Those wanting to sample the regional produce at its best, be sure to visit Oak Street Food & Wine – one of Bellingen’s top restaurants. Talented Head Chef Andy Wood spent four years under hatted Chef Colin Fassnidge at Four in Hand in Sydney. Take a look at Chef Woods’ fantastic recipe for ‘pot roasted Milly Hill lamb shoulder with Dorrigo potatoes, roast capsicum and olives’ here.
Must Visit Restaurants and Cafes
Edelweiss Bavarian Restaurant
168 Pacific Hwy, Coffs Harbour
02 6638 9333
Oak Street Food & Wine
2 Oak Street, Bellingen
02 6655 9000
73 Hyde Street, Bellingen
02 6655 0767
Quality Hotel Powerhouse Armidale
31 Marsh Street, Armidale
02 6773 7200
28 Hickory Street, Dorrigo
02 6657 1002
Red Dirt Distillery
51-53 Hickory Street, Dorrigo
02 6657 1373
Want the latest in caravan reviews, travel, news and history? Subscribe to ROAM
- Shows Cancelled amid COVID-19 Fears - 14 March 2020
- Windsor Caravans Now Does Motorhomes - 11 February 2020
- First Look – Frontline HiAce 6th Generation - 10 February 2020
- ACC Heading to Charters Towers - 5 February 2020
- New HiAce Frontline Camper Unveiled - 4 February 2020
- Should You Travel To Bushfire Affected Communities? - 12 January 2020
- Can Your Caravan Help After The Bushfires - 11 January 2020
- Why We Use Camplify And You Should Too - 29 October 2019
- Trakka Akuna Campervan – First Look - 24 October 2019
- Car and Caravan Weight Calculator - 11 October 2019