New South Wales caravan owners have been burdened for a long time with the second highest caravan registration costs in the country, although this is all about to change. From a caravan dealership in Lismore, Melinda Pavey, NSW Minister for Roads, announced that there will be a 40 per cent reduction in the motor vehicle tax on privately owned caravans from November 1 this year.
In a post on social media, Ms Pavey said, “I’m thrilled with this announcement today which will see the motor vehicle tax for private caravan owners reduced by 40 per cent from November 1 this year.
Our region’s grey nomads, families and adventurers will benefit from this reduction and allow people to spend their money on the things they love – including camping and caravanning around NSW.
The change will apply to towed caravans and purpose-built camper trailers weighing up to 4.5 tonnes, putting a saving of up to $471 back into the pockets of hard working families.
Under the plan, caravan owners will still have to pay the caravan registration cost, which is $65, but it’s the motor vehicle tax which has been cut on caravans or trailers weighing up to 4.5 tonnes, so even the 4 tonne, triple axle caravan the Kedron just built will be cheaper to register in NSW. Currently a 4.5 tonne trailer costs $1177 + $65 to register, while a 3500kg caravan costs $898 + the $65 registration fee. Under the new scheme the three-and-a-half tonne trailer would cost $603.80. Still not quite as good as Victoria, which charges just $54, but a saving’s a saving. Below are the current and proposed Motor Vehicle Tax changes.
Add $65 for the actual rego cost.
Do you think this is a big enough cut in NSW caravan rego costs? Let us know below.
- Shows Cancelled amid COVID-19 Fears - 14 March 2020
- Windsor Caravans Now Does Motorhomes - 11 February 2020
- First Look – Frontline HiAce 6th Generation - 10 February 2020
- ACC Heading to Charters Towers - 5 February 2020
- New HiAce Frontline Camper Unveiled - 4 February 2020
- Should You Travel To Bushfire Affected Communities? - 12 January 2020
- Can Your Caravan Help After The Bushfires - 11 January 2020
- Why We Use Camplify And You Should Too - 29 October 2019
- Trakka Akuna Campervan – First Look - 24 October 2019
- Car and Caravan Weight Calculator - 11 October 2019