The Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads, the Honourable Mark Bailey, has said there are no changes to Queensland towing laws, as reported by the Courier Mail overnight. The Queensland newspaper has reported that “TOUGH new laws to be introduced by the Palaszczuk Government will stop upgrades to 4WD vehicles to allow them to tow larger caravans, boats, horse floats and work toolbox trailers.” It’s followed by what seems to be very sensationalist editorial about how all caravanners will need to upgrade their vehicle if they ever want to tow a caravan.
The article says, “The new laws mean any Queensland driver wanting to buy a caravan will probably need to buy a new vehicle as well.” In ROAM’s experience, that is not true. The article seems to suggest that the laws would prevent towing capacity upgrades (improvements that raise the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle) which would become illegal. It seems to make the assumption that every caravanner tows a caravan that weighs as much as the vehicle’s maximum towing capacity and also has their vehicle loaded to it’s GVM.
The Mark Bailey has responded in a statement saying, “The Palaszczuk Government has made no changes to trailer towing rules in Queensland. These trailer towing rule changes are set by the Federal Government. The federal changes will not come into effect next month in Queensland. I will be raising all issues presented to me by stakeholders with my federal colleagues. Safety is of course our highest priority, but the Palaszczuk Government will absolutely reject any changes that unnecessarily disadvantage Queensland drivers or our wider state economy.”
There’s more to this story – read our update here – What’s really happening with Queensland towing laws?
- Kimberley Kampers to be resurected - September 14, 2018
- 4WD Aftermarket and Caravan Industry on QLD Towing Laws - August 23, 2018
- So what’s actually happening with QLD towing laws? - August 22, 2018
- No changes to QLD towing laws, says Minister - August 21, 2018
- Trakka Unveils its Fastest Motorhome Ever - August 17, 2018
- Horizon Motorhomes Adds to its Trophy Cabinet - August 17, 2018
- Motorhome Review – Avida Birdsville - August 8, 2018
- Review – Redarc Tow Pro Elite - August 8, 2018
- Caravan Review – New Age Manta Ray - August 7, 2018
- Will Viscount Caravans be resurrected? - August 1, 2018