Avid readers of ROAM will be familiar with the culinary delights of the NSW South Coast. We’ve visited before, and like a fine wine, it’s a food region getting better with age.
In years gone by it was the quiet townships, pristine beaches and scenic national parks that enticed travellers. Today, as with so many regional tourist destinations, it’s a thriving food and wine scene that has people coming back.
With no fewer than 18 vineyards and 16 cellar doors calling the area home, including Cambewarra Estate and Mountain Ridge Wines, the Shoalhaven Coast Wine Region has become a viticultural powerhouse over the last 20 years.
Stretching from Kiama in the north to Durras in the south, and reaching inland to scenic Kangaroo Valley, the region produces a wide range of varieties including Chardonnay, Verdelho, Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz.
To go with the wine, seafood, fruits and vegetables, hand-made cheeses, indulgent chocolate treats, flavoursome olive oils, and freshly baked artisan breads can all be found right across the region.
With such high quality produce on offer, it makes sense there would be some exceptional restaurants too. From Rick Steins at Bannisters to Cupitt’s Kitchen and Tallwood Mollymook, the dining scene is among the best in NSW.
To get a true taste of the region, consider travelling along the South Coast Harvest Farmgate Trail. Eden Smokehouse, Clyde River Berry Farm, Bawley Vale Estate and Shoalhaven River Oysters are just a handful of the noteworthy stops.
For those short on time, the Gaia Farmer’s Market held in Ulladulla every Thursday and the Shoalhaven Heads Seafood & Produce Fair every Saturday are ideal places to sample some of the region’s fantastic produce.
Where to dine:
58 Washburton Road, Ulladulla
02 4455 7888
166 Princes Highway, Ulladulla
02 4455 7798
84 Princes Highway, Ulladulla
02 4455 4789
2/85 Tallwood Avenue, Mollymook
02 44555 192
Rick Stein at Bannisters
191 Mitchell Parade, Mollymook Beach
02 4455 3044
- Shows Cancelled amid COVID-19 Fears - 14 March 2020
- Windsor Caravans Now Does Motorhomes - 11 February 2020
- First Look – Frontline HiAce 6th Generation - 10 February 2020
- ACC Heading to Charters Towers - 5 February 2020
- New HiAce Frontline Camper Unveiled - 4 February 2020
- Should You Travel To Bushfire Affected Communities? - 12 January 2020
- Can Your Caravan Help After The Bushfires - 11 January 2020
- Why We Use Camplify And You Should Too - 29 October 2019
- Trakka Akuna Campervan – First Look - 24 October 2019
- Car and Caravan Weight Calculator - 11 October 2019