By James Field
RRP: $92,990 (from Hinterland Caravans)
George Andonovski started building caravans close to 40 years ago, launching Traveller Caravans back in 1984.
Four years ago the company moved into a new purpose built factory in Campbellfield Victoria with Traveller firmly established as one of Australia’s quality mid-size caravan builders.
The company recently overhauled its designs and layouts with the new Obsession 21’ the result of that update. It’s a seriously attractive and functional tourer grabbing your attention at first look. Modern graphics and pear coloured cladding, coupled with the sleek black lower skirting certainly drew me in.
The build quality is obvious. The external cladding was perfect on our review model. Not one single ripple, bow or deviation to be seen along the length. It was the same for every Traveller I looked on sale at the dealership. All were flawless.
Still on the outside, midway indicator lights are fitted on each side– a useful safety feature when trying to change lanes in heavy traffic or on the highway. As well as the midway indicators there are also high level brake lights and indicators fitted to the rear, another good safety feature.
There’s plenty of external storage space, with several large access hatches, a generator compartment and a tunnel boot – perfect for those longer more awkward items.
The cleverly designed chassis- mounted battery cradle allows quick and easy access to the batteries via a hinged cover flap and there are two high quality Fullriver AGM Batteries.
The Obsession also comes standard with a 130 watt Solar Panel with a quality Morningstar Prostar 30 amp regulator.
A Dometic Front loader washing machine is a standard inclusion; just make sure you’re connected to mains water before running a cycle as they will run the onboard tank dry pretty quickly. Water tank levels can be easily checked however via a stylish digital readout located just above the dinette seating area.
On a daily basis I’m surrounded by all different brands of caravans and I must say honestly this is one of the most impressive I’ve come across in recent times. The Traveller Obsession may be slightly more expensive than others in this category, but in my view the quality and innovation certainly justify the investment.
For the full review and specifications, see Issue 11 of ROAM
- Australia’s Best Bike Tracks Near Great Campsites - December 6, 2017
- Caravan Club Donates $1000 to RACQ Life Flight - December 5, 2017
- Motorhome Review – Horizon Melaleuca Appeal - October 21, 2017
- Winton’s Dunny Derby Run and Won - September 28, 2017
- Motorhome Review – Sunliner Habitat - September 14, 2017
- Top 5 Nomad Towing Mistakes - August 25, 2017
- Camper Trailer Review – Blue Tongue Overland XF 2 - August 17, 2017
- Video – Mal Leyland visits Eden and Pambula - August 1, 2017
- Evans Head caravan park upgrade on the move - July 4, 2017
- Police crack down on Nimbin culture - June 22, 2017