New South Wales caravan owners have been burdened for a long time with the second highest caravan registration costs in the country, although this is all about to change. From a caravan dealership in Lismore, Melinda Pavey, NSW Minister for Roads, announced that there will be a 40 per cent reduction in the motor vehicle tax on privately owned caravans from November 1 this year.
In a post on social media, Ms Pavey said, “I’m thrilled with this announcement today which will see the motor vehicle tax for private caravan owners reduced by 40 per cent from November 1 this year.
Our region’s grey nomads, families and adventurers will benefit from this reduction and allow people to spend their money on the things they love – including camping and caravanning around NSW.
The change will apply to towed caravans and purpose-built camper trailers weighing up to 4.5 tonnes, putting a saving of up to $471 back into the pockets of hard working families.
Under the plan, caravan owners will still have to pay the caravan registration cost, which is $65, but it’s the motor vehicle tax which has been cut on caravans or trailers weighing up to 4.5 tonnes, so even the 4 tonne, triple axle caravan the Kedron just built will be cheaper to register in NSW. Currently a 4.5 tonne trailer costs $1177 + $65 to register, while a 3500kg caravan costs $898 + the $65 registration fee. Under the new scheme the three-and-a-half tonne trailer would cost $603.80. Still not quite as good as Victoria, which charges just $54, but a saving’s a saving. Below are the current and proposed Motor Vehicle Tax changes.
Add $65 for the actual rego cost.
Do you think this is a big enough cut in NSW caravan rego costs? Let us know below.
- Trakka Unveils its Fastest Motorhome Ever - August 17, 2018
- Horizon Motorhomes Adds to its Trophy Cabinet - August 17, 2018
- Motorhome Review – Avida Birdsville - August 8, 2018
- Review – Redarc Tow Pro Elite - August 8, 2018
- Caravan Review – New Age Manta Ray - August 7, 2018
- Will Viscount Caravans be resurrected? - August 1, 2018
- Trakka Announces New Motorhome - July 31, 2018
- ROAM Issue 34 – Read It Online - July 31, 2018
- Kimberley Kampers Enters Liquidation - July 26, 2018
- How To Happy Hour Like A Pro - July 19, 2018